Windows 10 update broke DC bootloader

Dave40

Windows 10 update broke DC bootloader

Post by Dave40 »

Recently installed a Windows update, then the computer did not boot again. Windows tried to attempt repairs, but no luck! Had to re-install Windows.

Wah123

Re: Windows 10 update broke DC bootloader

Post by Wah123 »

I bought a new SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it and spent hours putting my backed up files back on it. Now after installing Diskcryptor it asked me to reboot the system after installation had finished and now it doesn't.boot up anymore. I'm gutted

There.must be another way to get it to boot again without having to reinstall windows?

Wah123

Post by Wah123 »

I bought a new SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it and spent hours putting my backed up files on it. Then I installed Diskcryptor and after the installation finished it asked me to reboot the system, and after restarting it doesn't boot up anymore, it says there's no media present and the drive doesn't show up under UEFI in the BIOS. Secure boot is off.

I really don't want to reinstall windows again. Is there any way that I can get it to boot up?

goldengate2032

Post by goldengate2032 »

Will setting a BIOS password prevent the Windows update from changing the boot order?

DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

create a live windows boot usb drive using rufus with DC on it and inspect the problematic instalation is the efi bootloader installed etc

intruder

Post by intruder »

DavidXanatos wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:02 am
create a live windows boot usb drive using rufus with DC on it and inspect the problematic instalation is the efi bootloader installed etc
How does one put DC on a live USB drive? I can't seem to find a portable version download, only setup. Let's say I'm in trouble and don't have access to my encrypted drive where DC is installed - where can I get the DC files to put them on live USB?

And one more question, is it possible to decrypt system drive (or any other drive) by booting into foreign system where DC is already installed?

Thanks.

Anfinuo

Post by Anfinuo »

Disclaimer:
My info is based on "OG" DiskCryptor by ntldr, so YMMV.

intruder wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:32 pm
How does one put DC on a live USB drive?
You need:
1. Windows .iso (download from MS).
2. DC "binaries" (yeah, you probably gonna have a biiig problem there...).
3. Software than will make you a bootable Live Windows media, with DC integrated into it (back in the days, Win7PE was popular).
4. Bootable pendrive maker (Rufus is still good I think).
intruder wrote:
I can't seem to find a portable version download, only setup.
Yeah, problem as old as DC itself...
intruder wrote:
Let's say I'm in trouble and don't have access to my encrypted drive where DC is installed - where can I get the DC files to put them on live USB?
That's the question for the current author.
In "good, old days", it was right there in the downloads page:

Though the OG ones (pre v1.2),are still in the source code for current DiskCryptor, that's available via GithHub:
intruder wrote:
And one more question, is it possible to decrypt system drive (or any other drive) by booting into foreign system where DC is already installed?
To decrypt, you only need DiskCryptor and credentials used for encryption. So yeah, you could yank out your disc, and go to some friendly (middle-aged) IT guy, to decrypt it.