Firefox continues to crash sandboxed

DaveG

Firefox continues to crash sandboxed

Post by DaveG »

Good to see Sandboxie still alive.

I was having problems with 5.33.3 build, yahoo.com, credit union, etc stared crashing. So I am trying 5.46.4, but continue to have problems.

So far I've uninstalled Firefox 85.0.2 (Twice), uninstalled Sandboxie (first 5.33.3 and now 5.46.4). Told Firefox not to remember *.ini information.

Both installs I've been able to connect to Yahoo.com and credit union with Firefox not sandboxed, However, neither times have sites stayed up for more than a few second before crashing. At first I thought it was AdBlock Plus add on, but that is now removed and still having problems.

This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I have two other machines that are still running 5.33.3 and Firefox just fine.

Any idea on what I've done wrong? ;)

xarx

Re: Firefox continues to crash sandboxed

Post by xarx »

Looks like a problem of a FF addon. Try to restart FF without any addons, will it help?

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Restarted with add-ons turned off, ie safe mode, and problem web sites now appear to be working. However the adds, and in yahoo's case adds plus are also back.

Since many web sites ignoe do not track requests, is there a solution? AdBlock Plus worked well for years.

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

247 trackers added when I turned off Add-Ons buy the way.

Thanks for the suggestion by the way,
Dave

xarx

Post by xarx »

I use Privacy Badger for FF, but you have to teach it first what you want be blocked. Fortunately, you don't have to add every single tracker, it learns very fast.

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Well Microsoft updated to 10.0.19041 and now FF won't open sandboxed at all.

Can;t copy and paste for some reason?

Error box says:
Could not invoke program.

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side
configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event
log or use command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details.
(14001)

What can I do to repair of fix? Microsoft suggests downloading C++ file from 2013. not sure this is correct.

Dave
Attachments
Error.png
Error.png (8.19 KiB) Viewed 13 times

xarx

Post by xarx »

I use Win10 10.0.19042, and FF 78.7.1esr works fine in SBIE 5.46.5.

In my opinion, your installation is broken. Create and try a new FF profile; reinstall FF or SBIE or both; check your disk. Try searching the error message on internet, there are plenty of articles and posts on the topic. They mostly suggest reinstalling VC++ runtimes, which is probably irrelevant for FF. They also suggest checking the disk and repairing the Windows installation, e.g. https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... error.html point 4.