Sandboxie & the modern 'Adguard Browser Assistant' compatibility issue

Bros

Sandboxie & the modern 'Adguard Browser Assistant' compatibility issue

Post by Bros »

Adguard for Windows software release somewhere at August 2020, a brand new modern Adguard Browser Assistant.
From then it is available for download and installation as extension for mainstream Web browsers, such as for Mozilla Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ssistant/

On the other word, you can just open your installed Adguard for Windows software on your computer -> Settings -> Browser Assistant: and press "Get the extension" green color online button here, and you will instantly have an option to install a modern Adguard Browser Assistant for your appropriate (default) Web browser...

Adguard corp. create that modern Adguard Browser Assistant, because it is a more stable and have more options than the old Adguard Legacy (non-browser extension version) Assistant, which you can also find in that same Adguard for Windows software -> Settings -> Browser Assistant page...

Somewhere at that same time 2020, Sandboxie software was in the middle of the crossover process from Sophos corp., also the previous Sandboxie forum run by Sophos was just in shut down process..., so asking about the new Sandboxie Feature (or a bug fix) request in that crowdy situation, was not so much of a priority.

Now I am asking for help on Sandboxie new Feature request, that it can finally support a modern Adguard Browser Assistant, if it is in any way possible technically to do it, maybe also with parallel support with the official Adguard team, I do not know...

In the meantime, for last two years, Sandboxie software still works with the old Adguard Legacy (non-browser extension version) Assistant, but the future of it is blurry, especially in a light that it already passes two years, and Adguard corp. can redraw and simply shut down the old Adguard Legacy (non-browser extension version) Assistant at any moment.
After all, the modern Adguard Browser Assistant is on the market for 2 years already, totally enough time for various compatibility issues settlement with other software on the market and with the modern Adguard Browser Assistant here...
Besides that, the modern Adguard Browser Assistant is a more stable and have more options than the old Adguard Legacy (non-browser extension version) Assistant, and in the future, this will bring just even more and more of the gaps here...

All in all, I also believe that IT Security and Privacy need to always join forces together.
Some really good VPN service and the Adguard software, are so precious today considering the Privacy..., same as Sandboxie software and our AV software, are so precious in the IT Security manner... We simply need all 4 of them, as a basic protection today...

So, if you can, please make Sandboxie software and the Adguard software more compatible again, and that they better and up-to-date back coexist together.

Thank you in advance and best regards!

DavidXanatos

Re: Sandboxie & the modern 'Adguard Browser Assistant' compatibility issue

Post by DavidXanatos »

what issues do you have when trying to run it under sandboxie, the modern extension frameworks are so limited that I'm surprized there are issues when runnign sandboxed

Bros

Post by Bros »

The issue is, that the new modern Adguard Browser Assistant extension in sandboxed Mozilla Firefox Web browser for e.g., cannot even see for last 2 years, the connection with its own AdGuard for Windows installed application on the PC which sitting in the Tray, and they need to be both connected under the hood (the AdGuard for Windows software + AdGuard Browser Assistant extension), to function properly! :(

So, I was thinking here that Sandboxie need to "un-sandbox" somehow this AdGuard Browser Assistant extension totally, as an "exclusion rule" all here (and set this exclusion as a new optional Sandboxie setting that we can apply, if someone has also an AdGuard for Windows application on their PC...)

... Or to do all this, by joint Sandboxie operation with official AdGuard software team, because fixing this is on mutual interest of both, including the users like me, that use this both great pieces of the software in the first place..., and perhaps it is impossible to fix this serious problem, if not in join forces all here, I do not know.

I only know that one day AdGuard for Windows application will completely shut down their old AdGuard legacy assistant that still bearably and somehow function even last two years and even now..., and from that moment, all the AdGuard for Windows application users will be in so serious problem - to use the AdGuard for Windows application only on their PC, or to use the Sandboxie application on their PC only, because you cannot use them together on the same PC. :(

Bros

Post by Bros »

I do not want to sound ungrateful or inpatient in any way here, of course...

But, since it already pass a one whole year from my initial reporting of this problem here,
I am just asking now, is there perhaps any more advances on this above mentioned problem to be fix?

Or, is there any way that I can even additionally and technically help that this problem will be again successfully fix?

Once more thank you in advance for all the help and best regards!

offhub

Post by offhub »

Try these:

Code: Select all

OpenIpcPath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,*\BaseNamedObjects*\Adguard*
OpenIpcPath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,*\BaseNamedObjects*\net.pipe:*bmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL0FER1VBUkRBUElFTkRQ*
OpenFilePath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,\Device\NamedPipe\*-*-*-*-*

Bros

Post by Bros »

@offhub: I apologize for waiting for my Replay for more then 10 days here, but after so many time here waiting for any kind of Replay, I was not so much in a feeling and hope for any Replay at all and in a long run... :)

Well, I can confirm that after I copy and paste your text code at the end of Sandboxie -> Configure -> Edit Configuration file, the modern AdGuard Browser Assistant start to miraculously works in my sandboxed Mozilla Firefox web browser, very great thanks for helping me out! :D

And not only that, now the whole new AdGuard (Browser Assistant) entry is present even via Sandboxie -> Configure -> Software Compatibility list! :D

You able to resolve a very long time issue here, so Congratulate to you! :D

Once more thank you hugely for helping me out, and to the whole others, as my believe is that this will become more and more a widespread solution, since Sandboxie is a great for IT Security, same as AdGuard for protecting privacy and get rid of so many ads and similar in today's World!

Cheers! :D

Bros

Post by Bros »

Unfortunate the happiness did not last very long, since the Sandboxie Classic v5.67.5 and all onward versions of the same brake something, so the @ offhub great solution from Sep 05, 2023 does not work anymore. :cry:

Probably a slight adjustment of the original @ offhub code solution is needed, if anyone can help, please.

Thank you in advance and best regards!

offhub

Post by offhub »

I tried it with AdGuard 7.16 and Windows 10/11 and it still worked. Try the latest SBIE version.

Bros

Post by Bros »

Hi offhub and thank you for a very quick replay!

Well, I try it on Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSC x64, also on Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC x64, then also on Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2021 LTSC x64, and even on Microsoft Windows IoT 10 Enterprise 2021 LTSC x64 OSs.

On this all OSs it is also installed ESET Internet Security v17.0.16.0 (the newest and up-to-date version), AdGuard v17.16.0 (4542), AdGuard VPN v2.2.1 (1233) and Sandboxie Classic v5.67.9

And on all of this OSs it is the exactly same problemo, when I start normal/regular Mozilla Firefox (or any other web browser), the AdGuard Browser Assistant is fully functional in there.
But, when I engage any of the web browsers sandboxed, at any open tab with some webpage engaged, the AdGuard Browser Assistant become instantly gray out/Not functional at all, like it is disengaged or brake somehow from the main AdGuard software...

I also check today all this on totally clean Mozilla Firefox Portable version (FirefoxPortable_122.0_English.paf.exe), and I also check if there is some Mozilla Firefox settings problemo via Mozilla Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons & Themes -> Extensions -> AdGuard Browser Assistant -> 3 dots -> Options, but everything is engaged and Allow here...

I even try all this without engaged AdGuard VPN v2.2.1 (1233) at all.

Maybe sound stupid, but, is it possible that the right position of your code need to be setup in Sandboxie Classic -> Configure -> Edit configuration: Sandboxie.ini file, or it is not important at all on which position I input your code?

This is one of the complete Sandboxie.ini file content on my side:

#
# Sandboxie configuration file
#

[GlobalSettings]
Template=AdGuard
Template=AdobeDistiller
Template=KeyScrambler
Template=HitmanProAlert
Template=InternetDownloadManager
Template=NOD32
Template=WindowsRasMan
Template=WindowsLive
Template=Edge_Fix
Template=OfficeLicensing
Template=OfficeClickToRun

[DefaultBox]
ConfigLevel=10
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
Template=Replay_Media_Catcher
Template=AdobeLicensing
Template=AdobeDistiller
Template=AdobeAcrobatReader
Template=AdobeAcrobat
Template=Edge_History_DirectAccess
Template=Firefox_Bookmarks_DirectAccess
Template=OpenSmartCard
Template=OpenBluetooth
Template=SkipHook
Template=FileCopy
Template=qWave
Template=BlockPorts
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
RecoverFolder=E:\SUMMITI
RecoverFolder=C:\Temp
RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
RecoverFolder=%Personal%
RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl,6
Enabled=y
AutoDelete=y
NeverDelete=n
CopyLimitKb=5425746

[UserSettings_08DA01C0]
SbieCtrl_UserName=user
SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1707678980
SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=DefaultBox
SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=22,18,1278,680
SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40022
SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
SbieCtrl_ProcessViewColumnWidths=250,70,300
SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=C:\Temp
SbieCtrl_SaveRecoverTargets=y

OpenIpcPath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,*\BaseNamedObjects*\net.pipe:*bmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL0FER1VBUkRBUElFTkRQ*
OpenFilePath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,\Device\NamedPipe\*-*-*-*-*

... Or maybe is something engaged in my AdGuard v17.16.0 (4542) settings that is not engaged on your side, or vice-versa...(?)

Once more thank you very much for all the help and advice!
Last edited by Bros on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

offhub

Post by offhub »

If there is "Template=Adguard" under "[GlobalSettings]", the 3 lines about Adguard at the bottom of the configuration are unnecessary. Their positioning is also wrong.

The [GlobalSettings] settings affect all sandboxes.
The settings under [BoxName] affect only the corresponding sandbox.

When Firefox is opened in the sandbox, the Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe application is also started in the sandbox. If it does not start, this may be the cause of the problem.
sbiefrm394.png
sbiefrm394.png (84.72 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Try it with these settings:

Rename

Template=Adguard
to

TemplateReject=Adguard
add the following under [GlobalSettings].

OpenPipePath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,\Device\NamedPipe\????????-????-????-????-????????????
OpenPipePath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,\Device\NamedPipe\Adguard*
OpenIpcPath=Adguard.BrowserExtensionHost.exe,*\BaseNamedObjects*\net.pipe:?bmV0LnBpcGU6Ly8rL0FER1VBUkRBUElFTkRQT0lOVC8=
Also, there may be a conflict with third-party security software. If it does not work with the above settings, you can try to disable the third-party security software to see if the extension works.