How to open links (from other programs) in an already running sandboxed web browser

Arf

How to open links (from other programs) in an already running sandboxed web browser

Post by Arf »

How can I open hyperlinks/URLs, requested/triggered by any program (including the Sandboxie interface) open a new tab in an already running instance of a sandboxed Vivaldi?

What I want to achieve isn't anything special I assume but after literally hours upon hours of trial and error, pinpointing the specific settings involved, I gave up and have to ask.
My baseline settings are at the end of the post.

It's just not working when "Force Programs" is active, either via "Program Control" or via "App Templates --> Force Vivaldi" (doesn't matter).

When I open a link (e.g. going in the "Help" or "?" menu in any software and clicking on a go to home page entry) I can see Sandboxie opening a new instance of the vivaldi.exe but the process get's terminated soon after. Nothing is send to the open sandboxed Vivaldi window.
When I disable the force (pun intended), it works.

I am also getting the notification (more on that one later):

Code: Select all

vivaldi.exe (9684): SBIE2321 Cannot manage device map: [C0000034 / 11]

I found one other way to to make it work without removing the force, adding:

OpenWinClass=*
But this would defeat the purpose of a more secure environment for me.

It's not enough to use OpenWinClass=# but after the error message I mentioned, I got a hunch that the window name is involved somehow.

I searched through Github issues and found a similar question from last year. The answer given was adding

OpenWinClass=vivaldi.exe,Chrome_MessageWindow
, which was marked as solving the problem.
Not for me (when Force Programs is still on).

Furthermore I looked through the (outdated) documentation and found a hint while reading about Open Win Class about using a tool called WinSpy.

Used that and got a slightly different window class name from that, namely Chrome_WidgetWin_1.

I added that and a third one (because trial and error) and had the following three:

OpenWinClass=Chrome_MessageWindow
OpenWinClass=Chrome_WidgetWin_1
OpenWinClass=Chrome_WidgetWindow
It just does not work!

I disabled the force again and noticed the error message again (which I suppressed in the meantime and now re-allowed message SBIE2321): Using OpenWinClass=Chrome_MessageWindow has an effect in the way that the error is gone. I assume it resolves the problem C0000034 / 11.

But still the main problem is still present: How in the world can I have the security of forcing vivaldi.exe into the sandbox as well as opening http and https requests into it (without using OpenWinClass=*)?

AllowNetworkAccess=!<InternetAccess>,n
AutoRecover=y
BlockNetworkFiles=y
BorderColor=#3939ef,ttl,4
BoxNameTitle=n
ClosedIpcPath=!<StartRunAccess>,*
ClosePrintSpooler=y
ConfigLevel=10
CopyLimitKb=81920
DropAdminRights=y
Enabled=y
ForceProcess=<Vivaldi>
NotifyDirectDiskAccess=y
NotifyNoCopy=y
ProcessGroup=<InternetAccess>,vivaldi.exe
ProcessGroup=<Vivaldi>,vivaldi.exe,update_notifier.exe,SandboxieCrypto.exe,RuntimeBroker.exe
ProcessGroup=<StartRunAccess>,<Vivaldi>
PromptForInternetAccess=y
Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
Template=BlockPorts
Template=FileCopy
Template=LingerPrograms
Template=SkipHook
Template=BlockTelemetry
UseFileDeleteV2=y
UseRegDeleteV2=y

Arf

Re: How to open links (from other programs) in an already running sandboxed web browser

Post by Arf »

After almost two weeks of nothing I have to ask: Where is the support in this support forum?
Should I post this as an "issue" on Github" instead?

DavidXanatos

Re: How to open links (from other programs) in an already running sandboxed web browser

Post by DavidXanatos »

Github indeed gets more attention, sorry about that
and yes posting on github ensured I'll notice it earlier.

I'll look into this issue soon

Arf

Post by Arf »

Almost seven months later, any news about what the status is?

I would still like to get into Sandboxie and start using it but when it's not able to handle real life use cases like opening links, it's prohibitively hard to get exited ^_^

Jokes aside, I would really appreciate any progress in this bug matter and I am sure many others would too.