Launch a program to the OS from sandboxie?

Cathie Wood

Launch a program to the OS from sandboxie?

Post by Cathie Wood »

I was wondering if it was possible to launch a program from within sandboxie to the regular OS. A game I play has been changed to a launcher based client, and has to launch each game client individually.

The game devs have addressed the problem by saying you're allowed to run more than 2 clients from the launcher, but the launchers capability only allows 2 at a time. I want to boot up a secondary launcher in sandboxie and launch a client into my regular OS desktop environment but don't know if this is possible.

Please any advice is welcome, thanks.

bastik-1001

Re: Launch a program to the OS from sandboxie?

Post by bastik-1001 »

While I don't know how the restriction of clients is enforced and even if I knew I could hardly help you with that, but to address your question about launching a program outside the sandbox, you can use BreakoutProcess=ProgramName.exe for the sandbox you start the launcher in.

This can be done with the user interface of Sandboxie-Plus, by opening the Sandbox Options > Program Control > [Breakout Programs]

(The original idea seemed to be that BreakoutProcess was supposed to allow ProgramName.exe to be started in a box in which it is forced by other rules, but when a process is broken out of a sandbox, and it isn't defined to forced into another box, the program will be opened outside a sandbox.)

Be aware, anything launched outside a sandbox, can do whatever the user can do, it is no longer under the control of Sanboxie

Documentation on BreakoutProcess.

Something similar is BreakoutFolder, which is documented here.

Cathie Wood

Re: Launch a program to the OS from sandboxie?

Post by Cathie Wood »

Thank you so much, you solved it perfectly. You are the best.