Sandboxie-Plus as a portable installer.

ryuukae

Sandboxie-Plus as a portable installer.

Post by ryuukae »

Hello all, this is my first post. I had a quick question about using sandboxie as an installer vs an executor.

My conundrum: I often find myself facing hardware failures. As a music producer I have hundreds of VST3 plugins in my library and hate spending 4 days+ reinstalling everything after a drive failure as often as they occur and am trying to come up with a solution to this issue. At first I had the thought of installing my VST's on a separate drive so that when the system drive fails my storage drive with the exe's will remain intact. I then realized that even if the VST's are still in storage when the OS is reinstalled, the OS's reg entries will not be returned to the way the installers edited them but to default, and that this may prevent transparent integration with the existing files. Knowing that sandboxie creates it's own reg entries in the sandbox's storage location leads me to believe installing the plugins into the sandbox would solve my issue but my concern is the effect it will have on the plugin's performance. Are sandboxes known to have high impact on the software run under it's supervision and if so does anyone have a better solution to this issue? All help is appreciated, thanks.

DavidXanatos

Re: Sandboxie-Plus as a portable installer.

Post by DavidXanatos »

The performance impact is highly dependant on the usecase, if you run something like prime95 sbies overhead will be next to none,
if you run a webbrower or a game it will be small but measurable. And in a few specific cases its huge.

I would recoupment to just try how it impacts your workflow.

But I would also recommend you looking into a redundant drive setup RAID to misdate hardware failures, and possibly a full image backup of your OS incrementally updates every week or so.