Why we need exporting/importing of sandboxes!

d_TraXer

Why we need exporting/importing of sandboxes!

Post by d_TraXer »

Hello guys,

I am an music producer and I searched for a way to make my DAW (music programm) portable/easy to take/transfer it to a new Windows installation. The problem is, that it's extremely time consuming and annoying to set up a DAW with all of the plug-ins and settings.
So I had the idea to install my DAW and all of my plug-ins to Sandboxie. And so far it works pretty well: I was able to copy the sandbox (just for testing reasons) to my laptop and it instatly worked.

How I did it:
I copied the sandbox, created a new empty sandbox (with the same name) on my laptop and placed it in the right folder. Done.

So my plan is it to use my sandboxed DAW and make backups of the sandbox folder. So when I have to reinstall windows or get a new pc, I don't have to install the whole DAW again.

So thats why we need exporting/importing of sandboxes.
I think it's not just a useful feature, it can be a new way of how to use Sandboxie. It turns Sandboxie from a sandbox programm into a sandboxing backup/software keeping programm! (If you guys don't already use Sandboxie like that and I am just a fool who thought he discovered something. :lol: )

DavidXanatos

Re: Why we need exporting/importing of sandboxes!

Post by DavidXanatos »

Well I'm using it this way, as you only need to copy the sandbox folder.
An export / import feature would do the same, just more automatized, but yea I can add that, combined with 7z to pack and unpack from/to an archive

d_TraXer

Re: Why we need exporting/importing of sandboxes!

Post by d_TraXer »

Such a feature would be nice. Especially with a zip feature.